15 October 2007

September... October....

September was great. After Sessions ended and I vowed not to take anymore work for a bit, I wrecked fashion week and then proclaimed it a true vacation: no work; I lollygagged and lazed around and went to jewelry classes with Klaus on Tuesday afternoons... I spent each weekend at mum's house, the things dreams are made of!

Vegas was a bust... I cant believe the hype about that place! Lauren and I met at the airport and went to our hotel, the Tropicana. Later that eve her friend Avi met us; he had driven there from LA. His father lives in Vegas surrounding area so he was to be our tourguide. He was a great guide. The disappointments and desperate rabble-rousings of Vegas is another blog.

We went to see Cirque du Soleil's KA at the huge theatre built for it inside the MGM Grand, and it was truly spectacular. I actually don't have many words for it... it was an experience. My mouth hung agape through most of the show. These are real performers. Essentially anonymous, covered in elaborate costume and makeup, seen from so far away. We will likely never know their names. The show has no real words; a touching story is told through their movements alone. It should make one realize how shallow New York theatre is. My goal is to work on those kinds of productions in the future. I would love to work for Cirque! In absolutely ANY capacity.

After Vegas, I decided it was time to get back to work, only my choice to take off September was poorly timed, because most productions run from September-November or so, and that meant work was hard to find. I began to panic!

Thankfully, my month and a half off came to an abrupt end two weeks ago, when I got calls for nearly everything under the sun and had to make some decisions. I got offered a wardrobe job on a show designed by a friend of a friend of mine, and jumped on that show.

I also got a call from Eric Winterling, the Broadway costume shop, who needed my help on seagull costumes for the Broadway production of Disney's The Little Mermaid. I was super excited about that. This summer, when I heard The Little Mermaid was coming to Broadway, I was thrilled. Even more so when I found out Sherie Rene Scott would be playing Ursula. I met Sherie in spring of 2006 on John Guare's Landscape of the Body at Signature. She was great. I ended up making jewelry and re-constructing a dress for her to wear to the Village Voice OBIE Awards, at which she won Best Performance in the play.

I go back to work on the Seagull helmets early tomorrow morning. I'll update with pics in another post!

No comments: