12 September 2007

Fashion Wreck

I wasn't going to work fashion week this year... because the play I'd been doing wardrobe for all summer (Sessions The Musical) just closed the week before Labor Day, and it totally consumed my summer. I probably only had two days of fun since end of may, No Joke! I intended to live it up all September, and even booked a trip to Vegas with an acquaintance/new friend on a whim. Super excited about that!

But, being Capricorny, and the glutton for punishment that I am, I decided to cruise craigslist for people looking for stitchers. Now that I have my awesome work space, I figured I could do some samplemaking on the side, from home.

I ended up working for an awesome designer who I really was into. Drafting patterns, draping, building dresses and hoodies and jackets, putting in invisible zippers... I was doing this all at her humongous midtown studio. I worked a few ten-hour days there and ALSO took some work home with me too. I just kept saying "yes" to more work because I liked her and wanted to help her... meanwhile I hadnt done laundry since spending the previous week at my mom's house and hadn't changed my sheets since having a friend of a friend stay over while she visited the city. I really wasn't ready to work just yet.

So... I had to abandon that project and leave some things unfinished, and she had to find another seamstress. I was sad to do it, and it feels super shitty to leave a job unfinished, but sometimes that's the way it goes.

No comments: